From the Desk of Principal
Prof. Peter Edward Joseph.
St. John’s College at present, has seventeen post-graduate departments with complete research facilities and one under-graduate department. These departments are organized under four faculties–Arts, Commerce, Science and Education. The college runs four self-financing recognized programmes in B.Com (Vocational), B.Ed., M.A. Urdu and Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Psychology and two partially self-financed degree programmes in B.Sc. Read more
St. John's College, Agra, was established in 1850 by the Church Missionary Society of England through the efforts of the Agra C.M.S. Association which came into being in 1840. The first Principal of the College The Rev. Thomas Valpy French, a distinguished fellow of University College, Oxford, was a man of great vision and missionary zeal. At its inception, the College formulated its own curriculum and conducted its own examination. From 1862 to 1888 the College remained affiliated to Calcutta University and later up to 1927 to Allahabad University. In 1927 with the formation of Agra University, the then Principal of the College Dr. A.W. Davies became its first Vice-Chancellor and the College was affiliated to the Agra University.
The College from its beginning strived for extension of education keeping dispensation of social justice through education and upliftment of the downtrodden as one of its major concerns. The first scheduled caste student was admitted as early as 1892 not withstanding considerable opposition from many influential quarters of those years. The college became a First Grade College in 1891 with B.A. and LL. B. Read more